WHO MAKES THE DECISION?
The Chief Executive Officer makes the final decision, based on the above factors.
HOW IS THE DECISION TO CLOSE SCHOOLS MADE?
The decision to open or close schools due to inclement weather is based on a careful analysis of all relevant factors such as:
- Information on road conditions from news media and city officials. We must give careful consideration to the road conditions in the entire area. Even if your street looks clear, travel elsewhere in the area may be dangerous.
- Amount of snow and ice accumulated.
- Precipitation timeframe.
- Building conditions, such as whether we have electricity and heat.
- Conditions on and around the school’s campus.
- Temperature and wind chill factors. Please remember that some of our students walk to school and some must wait outside for the bus.
- Weather predictions. While we prefer not to make decisions based on weather predictions, which are not always accurate, sometimes this is unavoidable.
- What other local school districts are doing. Harambee Institute is closed if schools in the School District of Philadelphia are closed.
HOW IS THE PUBLIC NOTIFIED?
When the decision to close or delay the opening of schools is made, an announcement will be made via the following local media and school communication systems:
- Radio and TV notification – Tune in to CBS 3/KYW, ABC 6, NBC 10, and CW Philly 57 Harambee Institute of Science & Technology Charter School will be scrolled across the bottom of the screen), and KWY News Radio 1060 (Broadcast Number ).
- Infinite Campus’ school messenger phone notification system – The school’s notification system calls phone numbers that are on the file in our student information database. To update your phone number information, please contact the main office.
- Harambee Institute’s website – histcs.org
WHEN IS THE DECISION MADE?
Every effort is made to announce a school closing as quickly as possible, so we can notify radio, TV stations, and communicate the news effectively.
WHAT IS A TWO-HOUR DELAY?
Harambee sometimes utilizes a two-hour delayed opening to allow additional time for road crews to complete their work. In the case of a two-hour delay, buses will run their regular routes two hours later than the regular pick up time. For example, if the regular pick up time is 6:15 AM, the pick-up time when there is a two-hour delay will be 8:15 AM. Lunch will be served. Field trips that are scheduled for the day will be canceled. Dismissal time will remain the same.
WHEN WILL SCHOOLS CLOSE EARLY? (EARLY DISMISSAL)
Despite our best efforts to make the decision to open or close schools, there are times when school is open, and the weather conditions become worse during the school day. Considering the factors that were listed above, Harambee may have to close school early due to inclement weather. When this decision is made, Harambee will use the local media and school communication systems that are listed above. Breakfast and lunch will be served.
HOW WILL INCLEMENT WEATHER AFFECT AFTERSCHOOL AND SATURDAY PROGRAMS?
If Harambee Institute is closed for the day, have a two-hour delayed opening, or early dismissal due to inclement weather, there will be no afterschool programs. If school is closed on Friday due to inclement weather, all Saturday programs and events are cancelled.
WHAT CAN I DO TO PLAN FOR THESE TYPES OF EVENTS?
Please make emergency plans with responsible adult neighbors, friends, or relatives to ensure that your child has adult supervision and a safe place to go in case of a school closing, two-hour delayed opening, or early dismissal. If you have young children, please talk with them about these alternate arrangements and “practice” what they are to do. Make sure the school has the most recent contact numbers for you and an alternate number for someone else in your family that can assist with these arrangements. (e.g., relative, neighbor)
WHAT ARE SOME CHALLENGES RELATED TO INCLEMENT WEATHER?
Although Harambee does its absolute best in this process, we know that inclement weather poses many challenges for our families. If you do not feel it is safe for your child to attend school because of the inclement weather, please use your best judgment.
For questions about our inclement weather procedures and notification system, please contact our main office at 215-472-8770.
Infinite Campus is Harambee’s student information system. The Infinite Campus Parent Portal provides real-time access to announcements, assignments, attendance, grades, schedules and more. See what is currently happening in the classroom so you can understand, monitor, and participate in the educational process.