2021-2022 SCHOOL LOTTERY
Applications for the 2021-2022 school year will be accepted December 12, 2020, through January 15, 2021.
All applications received before December 12, 2020 will automatically be placed on the
2020-2021 waiting list in the order in which they are received.
All applications received after January 15, 2021, will automatically be placed on the
2021-2022 waiting list in the order in which they are received.
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our main office at 215-472-8770.
- Each student must have a completed Charter School Application to enter the lottery process. Only one application may be submitted per student.
- Applications must be submitted by the lottery deadline using the online form at histcs.org, in person at the school, at an Open House event, or via email at email@example.com.
- Changes cannot be made to the application after it is submitted.
- It is the responsibility of the adult who applies to notify the school immediately if there are any changes to the contact information provided.
- The date, time and location of the lottery will be posted on the website no fewer than fourteen (14) calendar days before the date of the lottery and until the lottery is concluded.
- The lottery will be held at the Harambee Institute of Science and Technology Charter School.
- The name of each child for whom an application was received by the lottery deadline will be put in a container according to the grade (e.g., K, 1st, 2nd).
- Beginning with kindergarten, names will be drawn for the available seats in each grade. The remaining names will be drawn for the waiting list beginning with the number one (1) and continuing until every name has been assigned a number.
- Names will then be placed on the waiting list in numerical order. Families will be notified of their number on the waiting list and will be offered acceptance when seats become available in their grades.
- Harambee gives lottery preference to new students who have a sibling enrolled in the school. Siblings must live in the same household, have the same parent/guardian, and both siblings must be enrolled for the requested school year.
- To be eligible for sibling preference, families must submit a lottery application by the deadline. Any sibling preference applications received after the lottery deadline will be added to the end of the waiting list and will lose their sibling preference.
- While Harambee cannot guarantee that space will be available for siblings entering grades 1-8, siblings will receive a preferred space on the waiting list.
- If a child is accepted for the upcoming school year through sibling preference, but the current Harambee sibling does not return for the school year, sibling preference is no longer valid.
- If a family is applying for more than one sibling, an application must be completed for each child. Siblings will only be accepted if space is available.
- Harambee does not carry over the waitlist from year-to-year. If a child is on the waiting list for the year requested on the application and space does not become available, the family must submit a new application for the lottery the next school year.
- When the school reaches its maximum enrollment or there are grade and space limitations, the parent/guardian will be provided with their child’s number on the waiting list.
- Harambee will fill opening seats throughout the school year. When a seat becomes available, the school will accept new students from the waiting list in the appropriate order for particular grades or new applicants if there are no applicants for that grade on the waiting list.
- An ordered, up-to-date waitlist will be continuously maintained, reflecting at any given time the next eligible student to be offered admission in each grade, identifying any applicable preference(s) for each student, and indicating the date any student is removed from the waitlist with the reason for removal.
- Parents have at least four weeks to complete and return the required enrollment documentation post lottery acceptance.
- Failure to submit the required enrollment documentation by the deadline forfeits the student’s acceptance. The student will then be placed at the end of the waitlist, regardless of sibling preference.
|November 3, 2020||Open House and lottery information posted on the website|
|December 12, 2020||Open House. 2021-2022 Application process begins|
|January 15, 2021||Lottery applications due by 4:00 PM|
|January 21, 2021||Lottery held at 6:00 PM|
|January 29, 2021||Notification of acceptance and waitlist status|
|February 26, 2021||Enrollment packets due from accepted families by 4:00 PM|
|March 1, 2021||Waitlist students accepted to fill available seats. Enrollment packets due 10 business days after notification with acknowledgment of acceptance.|