School Volunteers and Chaperones
It is the intent of Harambee Institute of Science and Technology to maintain safe environments for all students. In accordance with the provisions of the Act 153 of 2014, Harambee developed and adopted its board policy to address clearances for school volunteers – parents and community members. All volunteers and chaperones must obtain three background clearances.
- Pennsylvania State Criminal History Record (https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp); AND
- Child Abuse Report (https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home); AND
- Volunteer Affidavit;
- If a Pennsylvania resident for the last ten (10) consecutive years, a signed disclaimer is required, affirming that the applicant has no charges in other states that would prohibit selection as a volunteer.
- If not a Pennsylvania resident for the last ten (10) consecutive years and the applicant has received certification at any school district or child serving agency since residency was established, the candidate must provide a copy of the certification received since residency was established;
- FBI Criminal Background Check (fingerprint check) is required for federal criminal history records ($27.50) if 3(a) and 3(b) does not apply (https://www.pa.cogentid.com/index_pdeNew.htm)
Individuals who have met the requirements and are cleared by the administrator to be a Harambee volunteer will be approved for a period of two (2) years. Please contact the main office for more information.