Surrogate Parent Recruitment
The Special Education Department is actively recruiting Surrogate Parents to make educational decisions during the following circumstances:
  • When the child’s parent or guardian cannot be located and there is documentation that the parent’s whereabouts are unknown or that they are unavailable.
  • When there is a “termination of parental rights.” This means that a court of competent jurisdiction has taken away the parent’s rights to make any decisions concerning the child’s education and/or upbringing.
  • When a child is an unaccompanied homeless youth as defined in section 725(6) of the McKinney–Vento Homeless Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. § 11434a(6)). 34 CFR § 300.519(a)(4).
Who can be a Surrogate Parent?
Any person who volunteers their service and can you demonstrate the following: 
  • they are of good character 
  • they are at least 18 years of age
  • they possess reasonable abilities to make decisions concerning the child’s educational needs or are willing to participate in a training offered by the districts on the rights and responsibilities of being a surrogateparent for a child with a disability.
  • they are committed to acquainting themselves with a student’s educational needs and the special education system, and
  • they are able and available to attend meetings to discuss the child’s educational program
A foster parent can serve as a Surrogate as long as the foster parent has no affiliation with Harambee.
Below is a link that provides more information about the role of a surrogate parent:
Asante Sana!

Upcoming Calendar Events

No events

AKAN National Day of Service

akan image1

Track Team

histcs track01

histcs track02